|VIS1194 - Reinstalling Your Scanner Driver on Windows 2000 or XP
|Your scanner does not appear to be functioning normally; you are getting errors when attempting to scan, your images are not easily readable, or you are unable to access the scanner properties.
|Problems may arise after you have made changes to your Windows environment (e.g. you installed Windows Updates, you installed another scanning application, etc...).
|Reinstall the scanner driver which will recalibrate and will remove any corrupted driver files which may be causing the issue.
|Step I: Download your scanner driver
- Access your scanner's driver download page using the links below.
- Visioneer United States: Go to http://support.visioneer.com/, select your Product Family, then select "Drivers and Manuals".
- Visioneer Europe: Go to http://support.visioneer.com/UK/, select your Product Family, then select your scanner model, then click on "Drivers and Manuals".
- Xerox United States: Go to http://www.xeroxscanners.com/en/support/ and select your scanner model.
- Xerox Europe: Go to http://www.xeroxscanners.com/en/uk/support/, select your scanner product family then product.
- Click on the driver file for the scanner or select your language in the dropdown box. The driver file name will either be listed as the name of your product with a file extension of either .exe or .msi (e.g. xp200.xxxxxx.msi, dm262.xxxxxx.msi, etc...) or there will be a drop down box that allows you to select your language.
- When clicking on the scanner file name, you may be asked if you want to display the non-secure data. Please click on "Yes".
- After clicking on the scanner driver file, you will automatically be requested to "Run", "Save" or "Cancel". Please click on the "SAVE" button.
- The "Save-As" window will now open. Click on the "Desktop" button then click on the "Save" button to save the driver file to your Windows Desktop. This way the file will be easily accessed later on.
|Step II: Download the Remover Utilities listed below to your Windows Desktop for easy access
Follow these instructions to download each of the utilities listed below:
- Type the address for the utilities listed below into your web browser address bar.
- Hit "enter" on your keyboard.
- Click on the "Save" button when prompted.
- In the Save-As window click on the "Desktop" button.
- Click on the "Save" button.
- Do this for each of the three utilites.
- After you have finished downloading each of these utlities, close all other open windows so you are looking at your Windows desktop.
Hidden Devices: http://support.visioneer.com/utilities/hiddendevices.exe
Temp File Remover: http://support.visioneer.com/utilities/Temp_File_Remover.exe
|Step III: Uninstall the current scanner driver
- Open the Windows Control Panel.
- Open "Add/Remove Programs".
- If listed, remove the Scanner driver
- Scroll down the list and click on your existing scanner driver; the driver name will appear as either "OneTouch 2.0/3.0/4.0", or as your scanner model (i.e. Visioneer XP200, Visioneer Scanner, Xerox DocuMate 510, DM515, etc...).
- Click on the "Change" or "Remove" button
- Follow the uninstall wizard through an automatic full uninstall (removal).
- After uninstall is complete, unplug the scanner from the computer and turn off the scanner power.
- Close the Add/Remove Programs and the Control Panel.
|Step IV: Run the utilities you downloaded in Step II
Run the Hidden Devices utility:
- Double-Click on "Hidden_Devices".
- The Windows Device Manager will open.
- Go to "View" and choose "Show Hidden Devices".
- Click the "+" next to "Imaging Devices". This will show all Imaging Devices previously and currently connected to the computer.
- Right-click on the Visioneer or Xerox scanner name and left click on "Uninstall".
- In the Confirm Device Uninstall window click on "Delete the driver software for this device" then click on "OK".
- If the scanner is listed more than one time, uninstall ALL occurrences of the scanner.
- If you see "Other Devices" in the device manager list, click on the "+" to view the list of Other Devices.
- Right click on the other device and left click on "Uninstall" from the list. The scanner may be listed as any of the following:
- USB Scanner
- USB Device
- Unknown Device
- 1200 DPI Scanner
- (Your Scanner Model)
- (any other scanners or cameras listed here that you no longer use)
- Click the "+" next to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
- Right-click every listing of "Unknown Device" and select uninstall.
- Close the Device Manager
Note: If you receive an error: "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer", search the KnowledgeBase for VIS1062. This article has instructions on uninstalling that device.
Run the INF Clear utility:
Run the Temp File Remover utility:
- Double-click on INF Clear to launch the utility.
- A black DOS window will open as the utility automatically removes the appropriate files.
- When the DOS window closes, move on to running the next utility.
- Double-click on Temp_File_Remover to launch the utility.
Note: This utility launches the standard Microsoft clean-up utilities so that you don't have to launch them manually to clean out your temp files.
- After the Temp_File_Remover utility closes, reboot (restart) your computer and proceed to Step V
|Step V: Reinstall the software
- Disable any AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, Firewall, PopUp Blocker, Spam Blocker, or Weather Bug software program from running.
- If any of these applications are running, their icons will be in the Windows Notification area on the lower-right side of the computer next to the Windows System Clock.
- Right click on each of these icons and choose "Close", "Disable" or "Exit" depending on which option is available to you.
- Double-left-click on the driver executable file that you downloaded in Step I .
- The installation wizard will launch.
- Follow the prompts through installing the scanner driver.
- STOP when you get to the "Finish / Connect the Scanner" screen.
- Plug the scanner into the computer and power to the wall then wait 30 seconds for the system to detect the scanner, then click on the "OK" button.
|You have now completed the driver installation. If you are prompted to restart the computer please do so. If you have a "OneTouch" scanner you will see a scanner icon in the Windows Notification Area by the system clock.
Visioneer provides these technical articles for information use only. The information is generally for a specific scanner model distributed by Visioneer and a designated version of software provided with the scanner. Visioneer makes reasonable efforts to verify the accuracy of content and issue resolution in these technical articles but cannot guarantee any matter including accuracy or results. The articles are provided "as is", without representation or warranty, express or implied, whether of merchantability, fitness for particular purpose, title, or non-infringement. Visioneer disclaims any liability for damages, whether direct or indirect, special, incidental, or consequential, from use of the information in these articles. Visioneer does not evaluate any effect on software and hardware not provided by Visioneer, and therefore disclaims any liability for same. Visioneer is not responsible for the content of support pages accessed through external links. The articles are subject to revision or change without notice.