|The installation process appears to go smoothly, yet you get "Error 129: Cannot Find Scanner" then the message "Problem Communicating with TWAIN device" when scanning from within PaperPort or another application, or you see a OneTouch error "unable to connect to scanner" or "scanner not found".
|This is a system specific error message that can be caused by any number variables. There are several reasons as to why this error message may be appearing:
- USB communication problems.
- The driver has not loaded properly.
- PaperPort did not accurately select the appropriate source for scanning.
- The scanner is locked.
- Previous scanner listed inthe system registry.
|As there are any number of issues that may be causing this error, there are several things that you can attempt to try and resolve this problem.|
Please note that the rest of this article is organized by section, first possible scanner hardware issues then through PaperPort settings. Please browse each section applicable to your situation and follow the instructions listed.
|Before continuing, please verify which version of PaperPort you have installed:
Note: You must have Pop-Up Blockers turned off at this time
- Open PaperPort
- Go to "Help" and choose "About PaperPort"
- Find out which version you have (7.0 Deluxe, 8.0SE or Deluxe, 9.0SE or Deluxe or Pro Office)
|All Scanner Models|
Click here then select "Run" to run a utility that will attempt to correct this problem automatically. If you are still having this issue after running the utility, please continue on with the rest of this document for troubleshooting either your specific scanner type or PaperPort version.
A proper reinstallation of the scanner driver will resolve many of the communication errors to the scanner that may occur on your computer. For instructions on ReInstalling Your Scanner Driver, choose your Operating System below:
|Scanner Models: Flatbeds (ex: Visioneer 9120, 9220, 9320, Xerox 2400, 4800, 6400)|
Verify that the shipping lock on the scanner is in the unlocked (open padlock) position.
If you have already unlocked the scanner, unplug the power and toggle the lock switch firmly 4 times, then plug the scanner power back in. Even though you may have already unlocked it, the hardware may not have fully disengaged the lock.
- For all models except the Xerox 6400, 7600, the shipping lock is on the underside of the scanner.
- For the Xerox 6400 the shipping lock is located on one side of the scanner glass bed.
|Scanner Models: ADF with Flatbeds (ex: Visioneer 9450, 9650, 9750, Xerox DocuMate 510, DM515, 520)|
See if the check light on the scanner is flashing. If the check light is flashing, please follow the instructions in VIS1023 - Check Light Blinking on ADF Scanner for resolving this error.
Note: 7 to 9 short blinks generally means that the scanner is still reading that it is locked. If you have unlocked it, the hardware may not have fully disengaged the lock. Simply power off the scanner, toggle the lock switch firmly 4 times, leave it in the unlocked (open padlock) position, then turn the scanner back on.
|Scanner Models: ADF Only (ex: Visioneer XP450, XP470, Xerox DocuMate 250, 252, 262, 262i, 272)|
Scanner Models: XP450 and DocuMate 250
If the power light on the front of the scanner is flashing red, it will generally flash a specific number of short blinks, then one long blink, then it will cycle through the short blinks again. You will need to count the number of short blinks to determine what type of hardware error the scanner is reporting. Look at VIS1023 - Check Light Blinking on ADF Scanner for common troubleshooting techniques.
Note: For these two model scanners ONLY, 1 long + 13 short blinks indicates that the scanner lid is open, verify that the scanner is closed securely
Scanner Models: XP470 and DocuMate 252, 262, 262i, 272
If the scanner is reporting an error, the LED display on the scanner will flash an E# (0-9). Please refer to your user guide section "Status Light Troubleshooting Codes" under the "Maintenance"- "Troubleshooting" section.
|All Scanner Models: Check the Driver|
The scanner driver install may have appeared to complete without issue but Windows may not have correctly detected the driver. Please follow steps 2 of our troubleshooting guide to verify that Windows has correctly loaded the driver.
VIS1052 - Step 2 Redetect the Scanner in Windows
|PaperPort - All Versions|
Verify that you have your scanner model listed under the scanner source:
If your scanner is NOT listed in PaperPort, please follow the instructions in VIS1125 - Scanner Not Listed in PaperPort to fix this issue.
- Click on the "Scan" or "TWAIN" button
- In the "Scan" pane on the left side of the window look at "Scanner"
- The drop-down menu will show a list of all scanner drivers installed (current and previously connected scanners will be in this list if you did not uninstall the scanner driver from your previous scanner)
- In the drop menu select your scanner (Windows XP users will see two scanners, one starting with WIA and the other shoulde be either "Scan Manager" or the scanner model without WIA. You want to choose the scanner without WIA.)
|PaperPort - SE Versions|
If you previously had some other scanner, Visioneer, HP, Kodak, etc.., or still have a different scanner installed, PaperPort may pick up that scanner driver instead of the one for your scanner. Please try the following:
If you get an error message when attempting to remove PaperPort or the Visioneer or Xerox scanner driver, please follow the instructions for performing a quick uninstall for your version of Windows.
- Open the Windows Control Panel the open "Add/Remove Programs"
- Find the previous scanner driver in the list and uninstall that scanner driver
- Uninstall PaperPort and the Visioneer or Xerox scanner driver
- Unplug any scanners and cameras that are currently attached
- Reboot the computer
- Reinstall PaperPort and the scanner driver for your current scanner
VIS1000 - Performing a Quick Uninstall Windows 2000 or XP
VIS1009 - Performing a Quick Uninstall Windows 98 or Me
After you have completed reinstallation of PaperPort and the Visioneer or Xerox scanner you purchased, then you can reinstall your other scanning device.
Note: The uninstall instructions listed in the above links are only applicable to Visioneer and Xerox scanners. To uninstall your previous manufacturer scanner you will need to contact that company for uninstall instructions.
|PaperPort - Deluxe and Pro Office Versions|
These two versions of PaperPort come with the Scan Direct software. You can verify the scanner source through Scan Direct and it will reset PaperPort's scanner list.
- Open Scan Direct by going to "Start" then "Programs" then "ScanSoft PaperPort" then "Scan Direct".
- Right-click on the "Scan" button (looks like a scanner).
- The "Select Source" box will automatically open.
- Left-click on your scanner model.
Windows XP users only: You will have two options for your scanner, the TWAIN driver name (such as Scan Manager or Visioneer Strobe XP200) and a WIA scanner (such as WIA-Visioneer 9320, WIA-Visioneer Strobe XP200). You DO NOT want to choose the WIA driver.
- Left-click on the "Select" button to close the "Select Source" box.
- Left-click on the "Scan" button in ScanDirect to initialize the TWAIN interface scan.
- After it scans in the TWAIN interface, the scan will be sent to the destination application selected to the right of the "Scan" button.
|All Scanners and All Versions of PaperPort:
Additionally, you can troubleshoot this problem by following our 6 step troubleshooting guide. Please notice Step 4 to troubleshoot possible USB communication problems:
VIS1051 - Step 1 Checking the Connections
VIS1052 - Step 2 Redetect the Scanner in Windows
VIS1053 - Step 3 Reinstall the Scanner Driver
VIS1054 - Step 4 USB Scanners - Checking Your Computer Chipset
VIS1055 - Step 5 Parallel Scanners - Checking for Conflicts
VIS1056 - Step 6 Contact Support
Visioneer provides these technical articles for information use only. The information is generally for a specific scanner model distributed by Visioneer and a designated version of software provided with the scanner. Visioneer makes reasonable efforts to verify the accuracy of content and issue resolution in these technical articles but cannot guarantee any matter including accuracy or results. The articles are provided "as is", without representation or warranty, express or implied, whether of merchantability, fitness for particular purpose, title, or non-infringement. Visioneer disclaims any liability for damages, whether direct or indirect, special, incidental, or consequential, from use of the information in these articles. Visioneer does not evaluate any effect on software and hardware not provided by Visioneer, and therefore disclaims any liability for same. Visioneer is not responsible for the content of support pages accessed through external links. The articles are subject to revision or change without notice.